Located in the West Ridge community (at the corner of Granville and Ridge Avenues), this 2.34-acre park contains a small fieldhouse with a kitchen, a playground with sandbox and spray pool, two tennis courts and two basketball standards.
During the fall, winter, and spring sessions, Emmerson Park offers Park Kids after school program and sports programs for youth.
During the summer session, Emmerson Park offers a fun-filled day camp program for youth. Day campers have a blast participating in weekly field trips, arts & crafts, special visits from police and fire department personnel, as well as special-event days, such as pajama day, crazy hat and sock day.
Additionally, Emmerson Park offers youth crafts to celebrate most holidays and serves as host to the neighborhood’s bi-monthly CAPS meetings.
In 1931, the Lincoln Park Commission created Emmerson Park, the last of the district's seven neighborhood parks. The population of the West Ridge neighborhood had grown from 7,500 residents in 1920 to 40,000 residents ten years later, and there were few public parks in the area. The park commission acquired a two-acre parcel from the Chicago Town and Tennis Club, adjacent to the Chicago Elk Club. Although the new park was quite small, it was improved as a lovely green space with a wading pool, a children's playground, tennis courts, gardens, and a comfort station. In 1934, the Lincoln Park Commission was consolidated into the Chicago Park District. The Park District remodeled Emmerson Park comfort station into a recreation center in 1961. Emmerson Park honors Louis L. Emmerson (1863-1941), who was Governor of Illinois during the park's creation. Having served as Secretary of State for three terms beginning in 1916, Emmerson was elected Governor in 1928 and remained in office until 1933.