Located in the Lincoln Square neighborhood (two blocks south of Lawrence Avenue, and seven blocks west of Lincoln Avenue), Jacob Park is 0.89 acres and it features a playground with slides and swings, plus a sandbox for an afternoon of activities.
As part of the ChicagoPlays! playground renovation program the playlot received a new colorful playground. It's a great place for the kiddos and families to hang out and play!
In 1913, New York real estate developer William Harmon began subdividing property on both sides of the North Branch of the Chicago River to create the lovely Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens neighborhoods. Residents soon voted to form their own park district, electing Mrs. Helen Meder the first president of its board. The new Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District was progressive -- electing a woman president, taking positions against river pollution, and stopping illegal dumping in vacant lots. However, the district had limited resources and could only afford to create very small parks. In 1915, the park district began slowly acquiring land for what became known as Jacob Park and continued to acquire land for the park until 1923. The board had hoped to construct a building in the park, however few improvements were made. For years, the park was little more than a vacant lot. Although neighborhood children played baseball there, in 1928, the park board decided to sell the land. When the "for sale" sign went up, local residents protested, and the sign was quickly removed. Finally, in the early 1930s, the landscape was planted, and a sand box installed. In 1934, Jacob Park became part of the newly-formed Chicago Park District. Thirty years later, the Park District installed a substantial playground, which was updated in 1991. In 2014, the Park District expanded the park with CTA 0wned adjacent land.
Although long known as Jacob Park, the name may have resulted from a clerical mistake. It was originally listed as Virginia Park, but in the early 1930s, it became known by area residents as Jaeger Park in honor of Otto Jaeger a member of the Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District board from 1922 to 1934. As there is no record of the name change from Jaeger to Jacob Park, it seems likely a recording error was made during the administrative transfer to the Chicago Park District.
1st Monday of the month @ 7pm, Horner Park