Located in the Ashburn neighborhood, Lee Park is 0.33 acres and it is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This park contains a playground with swings, slides, along with benches to enjoy a picnic.
Chicago's Ashburn community remained sparsely populated until the late 1940s, when industrial development on the southwest side and in nearby suburbs prompted a surge in residential construction. Ashburn's population increased dramatically after 1950, rising from 7,000 residents to 40,000 in just ten years. The Parkview Civic Association, a local homeowners' group, began to lobby for a small park at South Lawndale Avenue and 87th Street, Ashburn's southern border. The City of Chicago agreed to purchase the quarter-acre lot in 1958, and acquired the property two years later. The city immediately transferred the property to the Chicago Park District as required by the Functional Consolidation Act of 1959. The park district developed the site as a playground in 1962, rehabilitating it thirty years later. In early 1963, the park district officially named the park for John M. Lee (1886-1956), a five-term Democratic Committeeman for the surrounding 18th Ward. Lee played an active role in public life, serving as state representative from 1922 to 1932 and as state senator from 1933 to 1946. He believed that park programs would contribute to the well-rounded development of youth. While in the legislature, he was a proponent of parks and recreational facilities.