Located in the Englewood community, Luna Park is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This 0.22 acre park contains a climbing apparatus for children.
The Chicago Park District purchased the site of this playlot in 1975 with the help of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The park was officially named Luna Park in 1998. The playlot is located about a half-mile from the former site of Luna Park, a defunct amusement park at the corner of 50th and Halsted Streets. The amusement park opened in 1907. James ("Big Jim") O'Leary (1869-1925), "king of the gamblers" (and son of the Mrs. O'Leary associated with the Chicago Fire) purchased Luna Park the following year, intending to make it "a high class amusement resort." Luna Park remained open only until 1911, when "Big Jim" closed it after making a fortune in a 1910 championship fight between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries.