Located in the South Deering community, Merrill Playground Park totals 3.15 acres and it includes a baseball field, outdoor basketball court, and a water spray feature.
The South Deering community's Merrill Park takes its name from adjacent Merrill Avenue, in turn named for early southside real estate developer George W. Merrill. By 1930, South Deering was a heavily industrial area just entering a period of substantial residential growth. During the following decade, the city used federal New Deal funds for local improvements, including paving and widening 103rd Street through South Deering. The street improvements soon prompted residential development. The new subdivision north of 103rd Street was known as Calumet Gardens, and later as Jeffrey Manor. In 1942, the developers donated the site of Merrill Park to the city for use as a public park. Few improvements were made, however, until after the city transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Shortly thereafter, the park district developed a plan for the park, installing an athletic field, a playground, and grass, trees, and shrubs. In 1970, a spray pool was added. The park district constructed a new soft surface playground in 1991.
1st Saturday of the month at 2:00pm at Trumbull Park located at 2401-2449 E 103rd St