This tiny passive recreation area is located in the Lincoln Park community (on Clark Street, one block south of Fullerton Parkway). While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby at Lincoln Park Cultural Center.
In 1848, the state government completed construction of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, allowing Chicago to become one of the nation's major transportation hubs. The Canal Commissioners, who sold thousands of acres to finance the canal's construction, gave the city several small triangular properties to develop as parks. Among them was a .2-acre parcel adjacent to what was originally the Green Bay Trail, now Clark Street, at Belden Street. Known historically as Belden Triangle, the park was transferred by the city to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In the early 1970s, as part of a Lincoln Park Urban Renewal Project, the city closed off Sedgwick Street at the park's eastern border, thereby enlarging the small triangle by .4 acres. The Mid-North Association, a Lincoln Park community civic organization, began working with the Chicago Park District in 1991 to rehabilitate the small park. The organization contacted businesses in the community for contributions and found sponsors for personalized bricks to repave the park. The project included new plantings and funds for additional on-going maintenance. In honor of these efforts, the Chicago Park District renamed the triangle Mid-North Park in 1991.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.