This playlot is located in the Logan Square community (one block west of Central Park Avenue, and two blocks north of North Avenue). The 1/3-acre site contains a playslab with a basketball standard as well as a small playground. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Mozart Park.
Monticello Park is one of many small parks created by the city to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. The city identified this property in the densely-built Logan Square neighborhood as a potential park site in 1954. Using Playground Bond funds, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation acquired the Monticello Avenue site and opened the new park, with its playground equipment and basketball court, before the close of 1955. The city transferred Monticello Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Throughout the 1990s, the park district upgraded the park's facilities. Named for the adjacent street, Monticello Park pays tribute to Thomas Jefferson's famous estate, pictured on the back of the nickel. Jefferson (1743-1826), third President of the United States, built his home atop a hill overlooking Charlottesville, Virginia, calling it Monticello, which means "Little Mountain" in Italian. A self-trained architect, Jefferson designed the unusual brick structure himself, expanding and remodeling it throughout his life. By the time the house was essentially complete, it had 35 rooms, none the same shape. Jefferson's many innovations at Monticello included a multi-story clock and enormous windows that could be opened to act as doors.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.