The City of Chicago purchased land for Morgan Field Park in 1948, using Playground Bond funds. The city soon transformed the site into a playlot and field. In 1959, the city transferred the park to the Chicago Park District. Morgan Field Park lies adjacent to Higgins Elementary School, and the park district has long managed a portion of the school property as parkland as well. The park was named for neighboring Morgan Street. In 1844, Englishman Thomas Leeds Morgan (1802-1883) began to buy area property that eventually totaled 3,000 ares. "Upwood," his homestead, later became the location of the Village of Morgan Park.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.