Located in the Washington Heights neighborhood, Oakdale Park totals 9.71 acres and features two multi-purpose clubrooms. Outside, the park offers a playground, spray pool, four baseball diamonds, and an outdoor pool. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our multi-purpose clubrooms.
Park-goers can participate in seasonal sports, baseball and football leagues, karate, line dancing, and arts & crafts. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and during the summer, youth attend the Chicago Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Oakdale Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family, such as holiday-themed events.
Oakdale Park takes its name from the surrounding neighborhood within Chicago's Washington Heights community. In the 19th century, oak groves stood throughout the area, inspiring the name Oakdale. The Oakdale neighborhood developed east of Halsted Street before World War II. When construction of single-family homes began west of Halsted during the war, the Oakdale name was applied to this area as well. At the close of the World War II, the Chicago Park District initiated a Ten Year Plan to increase recreational opportunities in under-served and rapidly-growing areas of the city. Among the neighborhoods identified for park development was Oakdale, where housing construction was rapidly depleting vacant land. The park district purchased the 9.5-acre park site in 1947, and soon developed plans for the park. Park improvements were slow to materialize, however, due to the flurry of construction at other parks throughout the city. By 1955, Oakdale Park had an athletic field, playground equipment, and a comfort station, which was improved and expanded in 1959. During the 1960s, the park district asked local residents to choose between further expansion of the recreational building and a new swimming pool. Residents opted for the pool, constructed in 1969. A soft surface playground area and ornamental fencing were added in the 1990s.
965 W. 95th St.
Chicago, IL 60643