745 W. Wrightwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
Located in the Lincoln Park community, Park West Playlot Park is a quaint little 0.21 acre playground and a popular gathering place for families with little ones.
The Park West ADA accessible soft-surface playground features colorful age appropriate equipment, a brick patio, planters, and lush landscaping.
In 1916, the City of Chicago purchased this Wrightwood Avenue property for construction of a fire station to serve the surrounding Lincoln Park community. Years later, the fire department relocated to another site and the City transferred the property to the its Bureau of Parks and Recreation. By 1950, the bureau had improved the park with a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment. In 1957, the City transferred the park to the Chicago Park District, along with more than 200 other properties pursuant to the Chicago Park and City Exchange of Functions Act. After improving the park in 1978, the Park District thoroughly rehabilitated the playground and plantings in 1990.
For years, the park was known as Wrightwood Playlot for the adjacent street. In 1979, the Park District honored a request from 43rd Ward Alderman Martin J. Oberman and the Park West Community Association to rename the park for the surrounding neighborhood, which was then experiencing a resurgence. The new name also helped to distinguish the park from Wrightwood Playground, located only a few blocks to the west.