Located in the Near North Community, Stanton Park totals 6.51 acres and features an indoor pool, gymnasium and two club meeting rooms. Outside, the park offers baseball fields, basketball courts, an athletic field for football or soccer and a playground.
Many of these spaces are available for rental. Park-goers can play seasonal sports at the facility. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Stanton Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the whole family, such as community picnics and concerts.
Named for Edwin M. Stanton (1814-1869) Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln, Stanton Park opened to the public in 1910. Since its 1869 creation, the Lincoln Park Commission's primary responsibility was to improve and manage Lincoln Park and its connecting boulevards. By the turn of the century, however, administrators were concerned about living conditions in congested neighborhoods within their jurisdiction. In an effort to create new playground parks, the commission put forth a successful bond issue in 1907. This allowed the acquisition of land for Stanton and Seward Parks and improvements to Lake Shore Playground, which was already part of the Lincoln Park System. In 1962, the Chicago Park District entered into an agreement with the Board of Education to operate Stanton Park jointly with the adjacent Friederich von Schiller Elemetary School. Two years later, the original Stanton Park fieldhouse was demolished and replaced with a natatorium and swimming facility. The construction of a gymnasium addition in 1971 allowed for additional recreational programming.
3rd Tuesday of the month at 6pm-7pm
Out of an abundance of caution Park Advisory Council Meetings will be held virtually for the near future. Please contact the Stanton PAC for details.