Located in the Hyde Park community, Stout Park is a 2.82-acre recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families.This park contains two playgrounds with swings, slides, climbing equipment, and a baseball diamond. Activities played at this site include baseball, while many people enjoy leisurely walks in the park.
During the late 1940s and 1950s, as the historic Hyde Park neighborhood began deteriorating, local civic groups organized to promote racial integration, halt urban decay, and preserve the character of the community. In 1956, the Community Conservation Board approved the creation of the Hyde Park-Kenwood Conservation Area. Two years later, the City Council adopted an ambitious urban renewal plan for the area. The city's plan identified seven sites to be cleared and redeveloped as new parks. A two-and-a-half acre property on South Greenwood Avenue was among these. The Chicago Park District acquired the site in 1967, and began developing it as a playlot. Florence Stout (1912-1996), who lived across the street at 5417 South Greenwood Avenue, was a leading force behind the park's creation. Having settled in Hyde Park in 1950, Stout became active in community affairs. She served on the planning committee and the Board of Directors of the Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference and was a leader of the local block club. Stout diligently monitored the community to prevent litter and crime problems. Upon the request of hundreds of local residents, the park district officially named this playlot in honor of Florence Stout in 1998.