This smalltalk with a soft-surface playground and sandbox is located in the Norwood Park community (1 ½ blocks east of Harlem Avenue, at the intersection of Summerdale and Berwyn avenues). While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered nearby at Oriole Park.
Residential construction surged in the northwest side Norwood Park community after World War II. In 1948, the Thomas Burkley Building Corporation, a local developer, donated a quarter-acre property to the City of Chicago for park development. The city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation began making improvements in 1950, and the park soon had a gravel-surfaced playground and a sandbox. Following its general practice, the bureau named the park for adjacent Summerdale Avenue. Summerdale was a 19th-century village in what later became the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago. Early real estate developer Louis E. Henry gave the name to a street in his subdivision. In 1959, the city transferred Summerdale Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other properties. After rebuilding the playground and repaving it with asphalt in the late 1960s, the park district removed the hard surfaces and installed a new soft surface playground in 1991.