This 1/3-acre playground with a new Chicago Plays playground and sandbox is located in the Portage Park community (abutting Lawrence Avenue, two blocks east of the Kennedy Expressway). While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered nearby at Jefferson Park.
Grace Zwiefka Thuis was an exemplary Chicago Park District employee for more than 60 years. Born and raised in Chicago, she began her long tenure with the Chicago Park District in 1933 as a Physical Instructor at Holstein Park. In 1970, she became General Supervisor of Physical Activities, placing her in charge of women’s recreation for the entire city. In 1990, she was inducted into the City of Chicago Senior Citizen’s Hall of Fame, and in 1994 she was named the Chicago Park District Senior Citizen of the Year. First planned by the City of Chicago's Bureau of Parks and Recreationin 1951, the site was originally named for its adjacent street, North Lavergne. In 1959, the city transferred the site to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated the park with a soft surface playground in 1990. In 2005,the Chicago Park District renamedthe sitein memory of Grace Zwiefka Thuis as part of an initiative to recognizesignificant women.