Located in the Morgan Park community area, Ada Park totals 16.65 acres and features an auditorium, gymnasium, fitness center, and multi-purpose clubrooms. Outside, the park offers a swimming pool, baseball diamonds, basketball/tennis courts. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our auditorium, gymnasium and multi-purpose clubrooms.
Park-goers can participate in Park Kids, seasonal sports, tumbling, teen, and senior clubs. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Ada Park hosts fun special events including family holiday themed celebrations throughout the year for the entire family.
Ada Park provided recreational facilities for the Morgan Park neighborhood's expanding African-American population. Initially, acquisition began in 1930. Acquisition to expand the park was finalized in 1955, streets and alleys were vacated in 1957 to complete the 16.65 acre park. The park was the last of those developed by the Calumet Park District, established in 1903. The Calumet Park District was one of 22 neighborhood park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. By 1931, Ada Park had a swimming pool and a few landscape improvements. After the Chicago Park District took control of the park in 1934, other recreational facilities were installed. The park district erected a new bath house for the swimming pool in 1940, and built "fieldhouse additions" to the bath house in 1957 and 1990. Until 1934, Ada Park was known as Loomis Street Park, for the street running along its west side. Late in that year, the Calumet Park District voted to change the name to Ada Park, for the street on the park's opposite side. The street is named for Ada Sawyer Garrett (1856-1938), who sold the last remaining vacant land in the Logan Square neighborhood, the Logan Square Ball Park, to developers in 1924. Though the Chicago Park District informed the Calumet Park District that it had no authority to rename the site Ada Park, the name has been used ever since.
quarterly every 3rd Saturday at 1:00pm