Located in the Montclare Community (on Oak Park Avenue, midway between Belmont & Diversey Avenues), Bell Park covers 4.36 acres and has a small fieldhouse. Outside, the park features two junior baseball fields, a volleyball court, two tennis courts, and a playground with a spray feature.
Recreation includes dodgeball, flag- or Frisbee-football, Foosball, gymnastics, kickball, seasonal sports, and soccer. Cultural programming includes Fun with Food, arts & crafts, jewelry-making, paper craft, and water color painting. Socialization skills / friendship-building includes Pre-Teen Club and Table Games.
Tot / preschoolers can enjoy a variety of fun, educational, and recreational programs—which includes the only summer play camp (for ages 4-5) in the Montclare area. From Fun & Games, Play Group, Preschool, and Storytime to Kids Fitness, seasonal sports, soccer, t-ball, and tumbling. The 3-yr.-old preschool is also offered with a 3-yr.-old playgroup. There is even a Mom & Tot arts & crafts class (for ages 18-36 months with their parent/caregiver).
The six-week summer camp is a big hit with youth (ages 6-12). The teen art camp designed a mural, which is on the east side of the fieldhouse, showing the different seasons at Bell Park.
Bell Park takes its name from Major General George Bell, Jr. (1859-1926), who led American troops in the Spanish American War and in the Philippine Insurrection of 1903. Bell also commanded the 33rd, or Prairie, Division of the Allied Expeditionary Force during World War I, and won the Distinguished Service medal for his efforts. Bell Park is among the thirteen parks created by the Northwest Park District. Established in 1911, the park district was one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. The Northwest Park District purchased land for the park in 1927 at the request of the Mont Clare Boosters Improvement Association, which hoped to raise land values in the surrounding neighborhood. Shortly thereafter, citizens petitioned for the installation of a fieldhouse. They had a long wait. Although the Northwest District built a playground, shelter house, and wading pool before 1930, a fieldhouse was not constructed until 1954, almost 25 years later.
3rd Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm