Located in the Burnside community, Burnside Playlot Park totals 5.50 acres and is an ideal location for families to spend the day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This park offers a soft-surface playground with swings, slides, and climbing equipment as well as basketball courts and baseball fields.
The Chicago Park District acquired Burnside Park in 1970 with the help of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. In 1998, the park was renamed Burnside for its location in the community area of the same name. When Colonel W.W. Jacobs subdivided the territory in 1887, he named it in honor of General Ambrose E. Burnside (1824-1881), who commanded Union troops in the Civil War and served as treasurer of the Illinois Central Railroad. His heavy side whiskers also prompted the coining of the term "burnsides," later corrupted to "sideburns."