Located in the Uptown community, Chase Park attracts a number of youth to its after-school program during the school year and to its outdoor pool in the summer months. Adults participate in men’s, women’s and mixed basketball leagues ranging from competitive to strictly recreational.
Throughout the year, the park offers indoor soccer, volleyball and softball leagues for adults, as well as a step aerobics class. Neighborhood parents gather at the park to participate in Moms, Pops and Tots and play groups for preschoolers. Others get involved as coaches for growing Saturday sports programs such as youth soccer, bitty basketball and t-ball.
Chase Park contains a 1/5-mile, four-lane, rubberized-surface running track, two baseball fields, one football/soccer field, four tennis courts and a large playground area.
Check out the new playground at the park! The 7,481-sq.-foot playground renovation features two sets of swings as well as two distinct play areas with equipment designed specifically for preschool-aged children and another for older children. New rubberized soft surfacing offers wheelchair accessibility and safer play.
In 1920, the Lincoln Park Commission converted a deserted semi-professional baseball field into Chase Park. Known as Gunther Park, the ball field was home to the Niesen-Gunther team beginning in 1905. The facility went out of business in 1913, during the construction of Chicago's north side professional baseball field, Wrigley Field. A community member suggested the conversion of the old ball field into a park in 1914, and several years later the Ravenswood Improvement Association and some local officials petitioned for the park. The Lincoln Park Commission finally began land acquisition in 1920. Within the next two years, tennis courts, a playground, an athletic field, a wading pool, and a fieldhouse were constructed in Chase Park. In 1934, the Lincoln Park Commission was consolidated into the Chicago park district. The Park district demolished chas Park's original fieldhouse and replaced it with a new building in 1976.
Chase Park was one of seven neighborhood parks created by the Lincoln Park Commission. Five of them were named in honor of President Abraham Lincoln's cabinet members. Chase Park honors Salmon P. Chase (1803-1873), who served as Lincoln's secretary of the treasury from 1861 to 1864. In late 1864, Lincoln appointed Chase Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Early in his career, Chase became well known as a defender of runaway slaves and leader in the anti-slavery movement. As one of his initial acts as Chief Justice, he appointed John Rock, the nation's first African-American attorney to argue before the Supreme Court.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.
2nd Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.