The Gold Badge Society of families of fallen firefighters and paramedics sponsored the development of this 3.5 acre memorial. The site includes hand laid stones inscribed with the names of more than 570 Chicago firefighters and paramedics who have been killed in the line of duty since 1857.
The bronze elements were produced by sculptor Marshall Svendsen with assistance from firefighter and paramedic John Alaniz. These artworks include firefighter's boots and helmets as well as a traditional fireman’s bell. Dozens of off-duty Fire Department members and families helped to plant flowering shrubs and perennials that beautify the space. Mayor Richard M. Daley dedicated the memorial on September 11, 2002.