Davis Park is located in the Austin Community. The park totals 0.29 acres and features a playground, swings and a basketball court. The playground at Davis Park was renovated in Summer 2014 as part of Mayor Emanuel’s Chicago Plays! Program.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby La Follette Park for recreation.
In 1955, the City of Chicago purchased this quarter-acre property with Playground Bond Funds as part of an initiative to create small parks in under-served neighborhoods throughout the city. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation soon improved this Austin site with playground equipment and a basketball court.
The following year, the park was named in honor of local resident Margaret E. Davis. Davis was an active participant in community affairs in the surrounding 37th Ward. She was also a strong advocate of providing recreational facilities to neighborhood children. In 1959, the city transferred Davis Park to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated it in the early 1990s and enclosed it with ornamental iron fencing in 1997.