This small playground with sandbox is 0.11 acres and it is located in the North Center neighborhood (one block south of Irving Park Road, on the block west of Ravenswood Avenue). While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Chase Park.
The City of Chicago acquired this property in 1959 and transferred it to the Chicago Park District later that year. Officially designated Filbert Park in 1973, the site was one of several parks named for trees and plants at this time. Filberts are small trees or shrubs valued for their edible nuts. The filbert takes its name from Saint Philibert, a Benedictine who founded the Abbey of Jumieges in 684. The saint's August feast day fell at the height of the nut harvesting season, causing the Normans to name the nuts philberts in his honor. Strictly speaking, filberts are native to Europe, although Americans often refer to hazelnuts by that name.