Located in the Greater Grand Crossing community, Hoard Park is a pleasant location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors and nature. This 2.72 acre park contains a playground with swings, slides, climbing equipment, basketball courts, baseball diamond, sandbox, and spray
In the late 1960s, the City of Chicago began plans to revitalize the depressed Grand Crossing neighborhood. After deeming the community a "Slum and Blighted Area," the Department of Urban Renewal proposed to build new residential housing on the existing 1/3-acre Greenwood Park, and replace the lost open space with a new two-and-a-half acre park. The new park would supplement the playground at nearby Paul Revere Elementary School, and provide improved recreational facilities for the entire community. The Chicago Park District acquired the proposed park site on South Dobson Avenue south of Oakwood Cemetery in 1971. In response to requests from many community groups, the park district named the site in honor of Edison L. Hoard (1933-1974). A Chicago Public School counselor and teacher who began practicing law in 1965, Hoard was involved in community service for many years. He served on the Mayor's Commission on Youth Welfare, and on the boards of the Better Boys Foundation, Center for New Horizons Inc., and the Chicago Commons Foundation. Hoard died tragically in an airplane crash on a return flight to Chicago after attending a director's meeting of the Better Boys Foundation in Cleveland, Ohio.