This small playground is located in the South Lawndale Community. The park totals 0.20 acres and it features a playground that was renovated in Fall 2016 as part of the Chicago Plays! program. It is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Douglas Park.
Homan Park is one of many small parks created by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. The city identified this .17-acre site along South Homan Avenue in the South Lawndale neighborhood in 1948. Using Playground Bond Funds, the bureau acquired the property and installed a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment before 1950.
Following its practice of the time, the city named the park for the adjacent street. Homan Avenue honors Joseph Homan, a prolific builder and contractor whose company, Homan and Brown, constructed homes throughout Chicago between 1873 and 1888. The city transferred Homan Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959.