This small playground is located in the Austin Community. It is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Moore Park for recreation.
Hubbard Park is one of many playgrounds established by the City of Chicago after World War II. By 1950, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had developed this playlot on property owned by the Board of Education in the Austin community. Several years later, the bureau added a basketball court to the original sandbox, spraypool, and playground equipment.
The property was transferred to the Chicago Park District in 1959. The park district installed a new soft surface playground in 1989, and purchased the property from the Board of Education the following year.
Hubbard Park takes its name from the adjacent street, which honors one of Chicago's earliest and best-known citizens, Gurdon S. Hubbard (1802-1886). In 1818, Hubbard arrived in Chicago at the age of 16 as a representative of John Jacob Astor's American Fur Trading Company. The Native Americans with whom he traded knew him as Papamatabe, meaning "Swift Walker."
In 1834, Hubbard discontinued his fur trading ventures, establishing himself as a permanent resident of Chicago. Hubbard went on to become a successful shipper, commission merchant, meat packer, and investor in real estate, among other things, but lost much of his fortune in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Hubbard also participated extensively in Chicago's public life, serving as one of the new community's first trustees and later as a city alderman.