Juneway Beach Park is 1.02 acres and it is located at 7751 N. Eastlake Terrace.
North Shore Park District acquired land that would be utilized for the park in 1915. Juneway Beach Park is one of 18 street-end beaches acquired by the City of Chicago in 1959, which transferred the property to the Chicago Park District pursuant to the Chicago Park and City Exchange of Functions Act of 1957. As there is no earlier record of a public beach at Juneway Terrace, the site may have been a private beach prior to the park district's acquisition. The City's Bureau of Parks and Recreation had operated other small municipal beaches along Chicago's North Shore since at least 1921. It was the practice of the City Bureau of Parks and Recreation to use adjacent street names for identification purposes.
Juneway Street was named by Sivert Tobias Gunderson, a Norwegian who came to Chicago in 1848 and made his money trading grain and lumber. Gunderson and his offspring also became real estate developers who subdivided the immediate area of the street and park. Apparently, Gunderson chose the name Juneway because he started subdividing his property along the wayside of Calvary Cemetery in June.
7/15 and 10/21 @ 10:30am