Located in the Hermosa community (one block south of Diversey Avenue, and mid-way between Cicero & Pulaski avenues), Kelvyn Park’s fieldhouse sits on eight and one-half acres.The fieldhouse is equipped with a fitness center, gymnasium, auditorium, several meeting rooms, and a small kitchen.
Outdoors, the park offers two walking paths (less than one-half mile, each), two softball fields, a combination football/soccer field, a basketball court, a volleyball court, two tennis courts, horseshoe courts, plus a playground with a sandbox and spray pool.
Families can come together to participate in Kraft Great Kids family nights and Family Sports Workshop.Tots can enjoy our Preschool and Play Camp programs.The fitness center is restricted to adult use, only—and we also offer men’s basketball and men’s volleyball.
Depending on age and season, a large variety of programs are offered for youth & teens: our signature Park Kids after-school program, Kids’ Fitness, Fun & Games, cheerleading, football, Seasonal Sports / Sports Club, teen basketball, Teen Club.The Junior Bears football program is one of the stand-out programs at the park.
Additionally, Kelvyn Park offers youth: Winter- & Spring-Break Camps, our traditional 6-week summer Day Camp (with the Extended Camp option, as well as summer Sports Camp.
We invite you to stop by and check out our program offerings!
Kelvyn was among the original parks created by the Northwest Park District, which first formed in 1911. At that time, the Northwest Park District aimed to provide one park for each of the ten square miles within its growing middle-class jurisdiction. The park district began purchasing land for Mozart, Kelyvn, and Kosciuszko Parks in early 1914, receiving input from the Special Parks Commission and the West End Fullerton Avenue Improvement Association on how to develop the park. The district hired American Park Builders Inc. to produce the landscape design for Kelvyn Park. (The American Park Builders also designed Portage Park.) In 1928, a handsome two-story brick field house was constructed in Kelvyn Park. Designed by architect Walter W. Ahlschlager (1887–1965), the building is nearly identical to the field houses at Riis and Simons Parks.
Kelvyn Park takes its name from the surrounding Kelvyn Park subdivision. The subdivision honors British Baronet William Thomson Kelvyn (1824–1907), an eminent mathematician and physicist whose scientific research revolutionized thinking about the thermal properties of steam. Kelvyn Park became part of the Chicago Park District in 1934, when all of the city’s 22 independent park commissions were consolidated into a single agency.