Located in the Morgan Park community, Lamb Playlot is 1.30 acres and it is a great location for families to spent a portion of their day enjoying nature or playing basketball.
In the early 1970s, Harold V. Lamb, president of the 1300 West Block of 108th Place Club, spearheaded a movement to create a new park in the rapidly growing Morgan Park community. The Chicago Park District identified a vacant lot at the northwest corner of West 109th Street as a potential park site, but a builder soon announced plans to develop townhomes there. The park district then selected an alternate site combining private and county-owned land at the northeast corner of the same intersection. By 1977, the park district had entered into a lease with Cook County and purchased the private land. The triangular site soon included turf, plantings, playground equipment, and a combined volleyball and basketball court. In 1980, in response to requests from the Block Club and the Morgan Park Civic League, the park district named the park in tribute to Harold Lamb (1917-1978). A retired Chicago public school teacher, Lamb was an active member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Council on Aging, in addition to his active role in the 1300 West Block of 108th Place Club.