Located in the South Lawndale community, Limas Playground Park totals 0.49 acres and it features a playlot complete with a swing set, a sliding board, park benches and a water feature.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Shedd Park.
In 1926, the City of Chicago acquired a small parcel of land along Trumbull Avenue in the heavily built-up South Lawndale neighborhood. By 1930, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation had improved the site with a playfield that was flooded for ice skating in winter. The city also constructed a small office building, long since demolished.
The city transferred the park, along with more than 250 other park properties, to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In 1982, the park district installed a new spray pool. A new soft surface playground was added in 1991.
Originally known as Trumbull Park for Illinois Supreme Court Chief Justice and U.S. Senator Lyman Trumbull (1813-1896), the site was renamed Limas Park in 1982. The new name honors Juliann Hope Limas (1965--1981), one of two innocent bystanders tragically slain in a gun fight between rival gangs on August 16, 1981. Limas, a sophomore at Young High School, was a member of the Marquette District Police Explorers, and had hoped to become a police youth officer later in life.