AlertFieldhouse & Playground Closed:
All fieldhouses and playgrounds are closed through the month of May in accordance with Governor Pritzker's Stay at Home Order. Go here to learn more about the Chicago Park District COVID-19 response.
Located in the West Englewood community, Lindblom Park totals 17.56 acres and features a gymnasium, fitness center, and multi-purpose rooms. Green features of our facility include a Harvest Garden. Outside, the park offers baseball, softball, football, and soccer fields, a swimming pool, basketball and tennis courts, walking path and picnic area. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our gymnasium, fields andmulti-purpose rooms. Park-goers can participate in the Park Kids afterschool program, seasonal sports, Cubs Care Baseball, Inner-City basketball league, gymnastics, track & field, Teen Club, senior health & fitness programs. On the cultural side, Lindblom Park offers hip hop dance. During the summer, youth participate in the Chicago Park District’s popular six-week day camp. Specialty camps are offered in the summer as well, and include Tennis Camp. In addition to programs, Lindblom Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family.
Soon after World War II, the Chicago Park District began a major initiative to create new parks for the first time in many years. This Ten Year Plan identified 43 sites in neighborhoods with few recreational facilities and in undeveloped areas which were starting to boom. In 1949, the effort's fourth year, the park district acquired a 17-acre property in the under-served West Englewood neighborhood. Improved between 1950 and 1952, the new park included an athletic field, a children's playground, tennis and volley ball courts, and a small frame and sheet metal recreation building. Basketball courts were added in 1958. In 1983, the park district demolished the recreation building and replaced it with a modern fieldhouse, nearly identical with structures built the same year in Rowan and Fernwood Parks. Two years later, an outdoor swimming pool and a changing facility were constructed in the park. In the 1990s, the park district replanted Lindblom Park's landscape, built a soft surface playground, and installed flood lights around the basketball courts, allowing for night-time games. The park's name honors Chicago businessman and philanthropist Robert Lindblom (1844-1907). Having emigrated from Sweden at the age of 20, Lindblom settled in Chicago in 1877, and worked as a grain operator on the Board of Trade. He served on the organizing committee for the World's Columbian Exposition, raising a half-million dollars to help finance the fair which opened in Jackson Park in 1893. For helping the Swedish government with its fair exhibit, Lindblom was knighted by King Oscar. Linblom served on the Board of Education from 1893 to 1896.
2nd week of the month at 12:00pm