Located in the New City community, Lowe Park totals 3.90 acres and features a multi-purpose clubroom. Outside, the park offers a playground, baseball diamonds, and basketball courts and multi-purpose fields. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our ball fields.
Park-goers can participate in seasonal sports, Inner City Flag Football, Inner City Baseball, Inner City Hoops, and RBI Baseball. The Park Kids after school program is offered throughout the school year. During the summer, youth can participate in the Chicago Park District’s popular six-week day camp. Specialty camps are offered in the summer as well, and include dance and sports camp.
In addition to programs, Lowe Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family.
Lowe Park is one of many new parks created by the City of Chicago after World War II to serve neighborhoods like New City. Soon after the city purchased a four-acre park site in 1950, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation improved the property with playground equipment; a spray pool; a small brick recreation building; basketball and volleyball courts; and an athletic field intended for football, softball, and baseball. Following its general practice, the bureau named the park for adjacent Lowe Avenue. The street name honors Samuel J. Lowe, one of the city's first constables, as well as an early justice of the peace. Lowe also served as Cook County Sheriff for two terms beginning in 1842. In 1959, the city transferred Lowe Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other properties. In 1978, at the request of a neighborhood civic group, the New City Members, the park district planted new trees at the site. In 1992, Lowe Park was further improved with a new soft surface playground area.