Located in the Lincoln Park community (east of Sheridan Road, and midway between Foster and Lawrence Avenues), Margate Park fieldhouse sits within the grounds of Lincoln Park. The fieldhouse is equipped with a gymnasium, a fitness center, a kitchen, and several clubrooms available for rental. Outside, the park features a dog-friendly area, community garden, and ADA accessible soft-surface playground with colorful mosaics decorating the area.
Parents will appreciate the opportunity for their tots / preschoolers to increase their socialization and coordination skills in programs such as: Moms Pops & Tots Interaction, Badminton, Play Group, Bitty Basketball, Baby & Me Yoga, Art & ABCs, Kickball, Recreational Tumbling, Fun & Games, Soccer, Tot Spot—and, in the summer: Day Camp and Play Camp. Margate Park is one of the sites for the popular Park Kids after school program for youth; Winter and Spring-Break Camps, as well as school-holiday special events, are available during days when school is temporarily closed. Recreation for youth includes: baseball, basketball, floor hockey, soccer, softball, track & field, volleyball—and, in the summer: day camp and sports camp. Teens can make new friendships in Teen Club, as well as basketball, floor hockey, soccer, and volleyball. Adults / seniors can enjoy the fitness center, conditioning, yoga, zumba, walking club, and volleyball.
Annual special events include the Halloween “drive in” movies, Roller Skate with Santa, and an outdoor Movie in the Park.
Lincoln Park began as a small public cemetery on the northernmost boundary of Chicago where victims of cholera and small pox were buried in shallow lakeside graves. Aware of the public health threat, citizens began demanding the cemetery's conversion to parkland in the 1850s. In 1860, the city reserved a 60-acre unused section, naming it Lake Park. Shortly after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), 16th President of the United States, the park was renamed in his honor. The city allocated $10,000 for improvements, and nurseryman Swain Nelson created and implemented the park's first plan. An early donation of mute swans marked the beginnings of the Lincoln Park Zoo. Citizens argued for the removal of the remaining burial ground. This contributed to a larger parks movement, and in 1869, the state legislature created three park districts: the South, West, and Lincoln Park Commissions, each responsible for the parks and boulevards in its region. Under the direction of the Lincoln Park Commission, bodies were exhumed and relocated to other cemeteries, and the park was expanded south to North Avenue and north to Diversey Parkway. Severe winter storms in 1885 resulted in the construction of a breakwater system which included the first of many landfill projects extending Lincoln Park's boundaries. The independent park commissions were consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934, and Lincoln Park was expanded north to Foster Avenue. A final expansion in the 1950s brought the park to its current size of 1,208 acres. Throughout Lincoln Park's history, renowned artists, landscape designers, and architects contributed to its development. These included sculptor Augustus-Saint Gaudens, landscape designers Ossian Cole Simonds and Alfred Caldwell, and architects Joseph Lyman Silsbee and Dwight H. Perkins.
4th Tuesday at 7:30 every other month
Out of an abundance of caution Park Advisory Council Meetings will be held virtually for the near future. Please contact the Margate PAC for details.
4921 N. Marine Drive
Chicago, IL 60640