Located in the Austin Community Area, Moore Park totals 3.72 acres and offers a small field house with a game room and a new gymnasium addition. Outside, the park offers baseball fields, basketball courts, a soft-surface playground, an interactive water spray feature and a junior soccer field.
Park-goers can play baseball, basketball and table games at the facility. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Moore Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the whole family.
The west side Austin community, developed by Henry W. Austin and annexed to Chicago in 1899, grew dramatically during the first decades of the 20th century.
In 1926, the city purchased three acres of land along West Adams Street, intending to build a school. Two years later, however, the city turned the site over to the Bureau of Parks and Recreation, which established a tree-lined park there in 1929.
The new park was well-equipped with an oval wading pool, playground equipment, a small recreational building, and a playfield that was flooded in winter for ice skating. In 1947, the bureau enclosed the open wings of the recreational structure, creating a year-round facility.
The Chicago Park District began managing this Board of Education-owned property in 1959. The park district assumed ownership of Moore Park in 1990, and installed a new soft surface playground shortly thereafter.
Moore Park honors Austin resident Maurice T. Moore (1857-1928). An Irish immigrant, Moore joined the Chicago Police Department in October, 1887, serving for 40 years until his resignation in 1927. After 1901, he was acting captain at various west side police stations. Throughout his career, Moore displayed a keen interest in local children and felt it important that they have a safe place to play. Moore lived just a few blocks from the park, at 5538 West Quincy Street.
2nd Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.