On July 4, 1945, a day-long Independence Day celebration included dedication ceremonies for this WWII Memorial Drinking Fountain. Donated by area residents, the fund-raising efforts had included a community carnival held in Ogden Park a few months earlier.
Frederick C. Hibbard (1881–1950), an accomplished sculptor and South Side resident, created the drinking fountain. Composed of cornelian red polished granite, the octagonal fountain is inscribed with a dedication to the men and women of the community who served their country in World War II.
Hibbard was commissioned to create a somewhat more substantial memorial fountain in Trumbull Park, dedicated two years later. He also produced many other sculptures for Chicago’s Parks including the Carter Harrison Memorial, Greene Vardiman Black Monument, Garden Figure, and Eagle Fountains. Located West of field house.