Located in the South Lawndale community in the area often called Little Village, Piotrowski Park Cultural Center totals 23.76 acres and features a convertible domed pool for year round use, a gymnasium, fitness center and meeting rooms.
Outside, the park offers baseball fields, athletic fields for soccer or football, a playground, tennis courts and a new skate park.
Many of these spaces are available for rental. Patrons can play seasonal sports, picnic or skate at the facility. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp. A therapeutic recreation specialty camp is offered in the summer as well.
In addition to programs, Piotrowski Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the whole family, such as concerts, Movies in the Park and holiday events.
In 1946, the Chicago Park District began developing a sizable new park for the South Lawndale community as part of its Ten-Year Plan to increase recreational opportunities after World War II. By 1949, seven temporary ball diamonds filled the large tract of land. During the next few years, the park district made permanent improvements, including a playground, a comfort station, and a field house. A large outdoor swimming pool was constructed south of the fieldhouse in 1984. In recent years, the park district added a new soft surface playground. Originally known as Lawndale Park for the surrounding community, the site was renamed in 1974 to honor Lillian Piotrowski, a life-long neighborhood resident. Piotrowski devoted much of her life to politics and public service, and served as a member of the Cook County Board of Commissioners at the time of her death.