Located in the Pullman neighborhood, Pullman Park is a park location totaling 1.02 acres and it is used for passive recreation. Park patrons can relax in this open green space on benches while enjoying the beauty of nature.
Pullman Park is one of two parks donated to the town of Pullman by its founder, George M. Pullman (1831-1899). (The second is nearby Arcade Park.) The City of Chicago acquired Pullman Park in 1909, transferring it to the Chicago Park District fifty years later. George Pullman vastly improved the comfort of long distance rail travel when he introduced the sleeping car that bears his name. In 1877, Pullman began to buy up 3,500 acres of land on the western shore of Lake Calumet on which to build his new factory. Plant construction began in 1880. To lure well-qualified workers, Pullman also built worker housing, stores, churches, and public buildings - an enormous company town. Pullman hired architect Solon S. Beman to design the town's buildings and Nathan F. Barrett to plan the landscape. By 1884, Pullman had around 8,000 residents. True to the original designer's intent, Pullman Park remains a landscaped park, uninterrupted by structures.