Restored in 2002, the Ronan Park includes 3 acres of naturalized river edge habitat along the North Branch of the Chicago River [Lawrence Ave to Argyle Street, west of Chicago river between Sacramento and California] on City's north side. A wooded chipped path in the park parallels the river, making Ronan Park a perfect spot for bird watching or a nature walk.
In spring 2011, The Multi-ethnic Sculpture Park and Healing Garden in Ronan Park was installed. The park is 12.47 acres and it embraces our community’s multicultural heritage through the creation of a community space that is to feature a rotating schedule of sculpture, cultural activities, and free performances, as well as community-designed and managed gardens.
While there is no structured programs offered at Ronan Park, please check out the variety of offerings at nearby River Park!
In 1929, the City of Chicago built a new pumping station east of the channelized North Branch of the Chicago River to meet the increasing need for water in the neighboring Lincoln Square and Albany Park communities. Just over thirty years later, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District and the Chicago Park District began working together to create recreational space adjoining the pumping station. The park district soon signed a lease for 7.5 acres of water district land, and by the mid-1960s, playgrounds and greenspaces lined both sides of the North Shore Channel. In the 1990s, the park district began leasing additional water district land, bringing the park's total acreage to nearly 13 acres. The entire park was rehabilitated, and a bike path added as part of a larger plan to create a recreational corridor along the river. Ronan Park honors Ensign George Ronan, who died in the Fort Dearborn Massacre on August 15, 1812, when Potowatomi warriors routed the Federal forces at Chicago. Ronan was the first West Point graduate to fall in battle.