Located in the South Lawndale Community Area, Washtenaw Park totals 1 acre and features a small field house with a game room. Outside, the park offers a softball field and playground.
After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Washtenaw Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the whole family, such as holiday events.
The City of Chicago created Washtenaw Park in 1947, constructing a playingfield, skating pond, shelter house, and spray pool shortly thereafter. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation, which operated Washtenaw Park for the city, erected a fieldhouse in 1948. In 1959, the city transferred Washtenaw Park to the Chicago Park District. Although there is no record of this park's naming, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation often used adjacent street names for purposes of identification. Washtenaw Street may take its name from one of several sources. A Michigan county bears the name. The Algonquin Indian term Washtenaw - literally, "the place of the round or curved channel" - was used to refer to the settlement at Detroit. Washtenaw is also an Ojibway word meaning "far-off," and first applied to a Michigan stream.