Located in the South Shore community area, Woodhull Park totals 2.47 acres and features a multi-purpose clubroom. Outside, the park offers a basketball court, running track, soft surface playground, spray pool, and multi-purpose court. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our multi-purpose clubroom.
Park-goers can participate in the Park Kids after school program, seasonal sports, Teen Club, Senior Club, Kraft Kids. Nature program includes Park Voyagers. During the summer, youth can participate in the Chicago Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Woodhull Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family, including holiday-themed events.
In 1916, the City of Chicago purchased land along East 73rd Street on which to construct a pumping station for the rapidly-growing South Shore community. The Water Department never built the pumping station, and, in 1927, the City Council authorized the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to use part of the property for park development. The park was improved with playing fields, a sand court, playground, wading pool and a frame building which housed the supervisor's office flanked by open shelters. The following year, the City Council named the new park for Ross A. Woodhull (1878-1944), who served South Shore as 7th Ward Alderman from 1917 through 1928. After 1924, Woodhull was chairman of the council's finance committee. In 1928, Woodhull was elected to the Chicago Sanitary District Board of Trustees, serving as board president from 1934 until his death in 1944. By 1930, The Chicago Park District began to managethe park which was officially transfered in 1959. It was later updated has since a running track and improved playground. The original oval-shaped wading pool was also later converted to a spray pool.