Located in the East Garfield Community, Altgeld Park totals 4.3 acres and features a field house, two gymnasiums, a fitness center, meeting rooms and a kitchen.
Outside, the park offers a swimming pool, a soft-ball field, and athletic fields for football, baseball and soccer. The park also includes a small playground that was renovated in Fall 2013 as part of the Chicago Plays! Renovation Program. Many of these spaces are available for rental, including the ball fields and meeting rooms.
Park patrons visit Altgeld Park to play football, baseball or soccer, and children enjoy the playground. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Altgeld Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the whole family, such as baseball tournaments, Movies in the Park and other Night Out in the Parks events.
Established in 1873 as Congress Park, the land for this park was donated to the City of Chicago by local real estate developers Frank W. and James L. Campbell. The city transferred the one-acre park to the West Park Commission in 1915, at which time the commission acquired an additional four acres. The following year the expanded park was named in honor of John P. Altgeld (1847-1902), Illinois' governor from 1893 to 1897, and an early proponent of neighborhood playgrounds. The controversial Altgeld, a strong supporter of labor, is best known for pardoning several of the Haymarket conspirators.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.