Located in the Hyde Park community, Elm Playlot Park is a recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families.This park contains a community garden and a gazebo.Park patrons that visit this park enjoy gardening activities, storytelling and other special events.
The Chicago Park District developed this park site in 1964 as part of the Hyde Park - Kenwood Urban Renewal Project. Officially designated Elm Park in 1973, the site was one of a number of park properties named for trees and plants at this time. American elms, the largest and most important variety of elm in North America, have long held an important public role. They served as council trees for Native Americans before Europeans arrived. Around the time of the Revolutionary War, nearly every town had an American elm designated as a Liberty tree. Early in the 20th century, elms lined the streets of Chicago and towns and cities across the nation, creating lovely canopies for the roadways. Unfortunately, just before 1930, Dutch elm disease began to attack these large, elegant shade trees, disrupting their systems for conducting water. Many elms died, and boulevards and yards were stripped bare. Today, individual trees can be protected by injecting or spraying them with fungicide, but Dutch elm disease still spreads from tree to tree unless they are closely monitored.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.