Located in the Englewood community, Emerald Park is a great recreational destination for the entire family. This park contains a basketball court and benches to relax and enjoy nature.
As World War II drew to a close, the city began creating many new playgrounds and playlots to serve Chicago's growing population of young children. By 1945, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had replaced an old fire station with a small playlot that included a sand box; a spray pool; a marble ring; playground equipment; and hopscotch, horseshoe, and basketball courts. As the bureau's practice was then to name sites for adjacent streets, the site became known as Emerald Park. The street name honors the heritage of many Chicago families who originate from lush, green Ireland, often termed the Emerald Isle. In 1959, the city transferred Emerald Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other properties. In the late 1970s, the district removed the playground equipment and re-developed the park, devoting most of the site to new basketball courts, and adding a planted area.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.