Chicago Park District
Gage Park Field House

Gage park Field House

 
Gage Park Playground

Gage Park Playground

 
Gage Park Tennis Court

Gage Park Tennis Court

 
Gage Park Garden

Gage Park Garden

 

Gage Park

2411 W. 55th St. Chicago IL 60629

Hours: +Park: 6am - 11pm, Fieldhouse: M, W, 9am - 9pm

Tu/Th/Fr: 10am-9pm Sat: 1:30pm-10pm Su: Closed

Park Supervisor:
Leobardo Pulido

(312) 747-6147

 
 
 

Description

Located in the Gage Park community, Gage Park totals 29.22 acres and features two gymnasiums, an auditorium, fitness center, and multi-purpose clubrooms.A green feature of the park includes a Harvest Garden. Outside, the park offers five ball diamonds, a track, hand ball/ basketball/ and tennis courts, playground. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our auditorium, gymnasiums, and multi-purpose clubrooms.

Park-goers can participate in the Park Kids after school program, Special Recreation, American Sign Language, and Senior Club and seasonal sports. During the summer, youth can participate in the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.

In addition to programs, Gage Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family, such as Hispanic Heritage Month and other holiday-themed events.

MAY
18
Family Bowling (Deaf & Hard) of Hearing at Gage
Event's details
May 18, 2014

Time:01:00 PM - 03:00 PM
2411 W. 55th St. Chicago IL 60629


 
(01:00 PM - 03:00 PM)
 
 

 

SPRING PROGRAMS:
Online registration for our park begins Tuesday, February 25 at 9 am, and in-person registration begins Saturday, March 1.  Spring programs run the week of March 31 through the week of June 2. 

SUMMER PROGRAMS:
Online registration for our park’s summer programs begins Tuesday, April 8 at 9 am, and in-person registration begins Saturday, April 12.  Our traditional 6-week summer camp program runs June 23 through August 1.  Most other summer programs run the week of June 16 through the week of August 18.

Join us! 

 
 

FACILITIES

FACILITY TYPE ADDRESS DESCRIPTOR QTY NOTES
Baseball Field 2411 W. 55th St. 5
Basketball Court - Outdoor 2411 W. 55th St. 1
Fieldhouse 2411 W. 55th St. 0
Fitness Centers 2411 W. 55th St. 1 M & W, 7-8:30pm;Tu/Th/Fri, 10-8:30pm; Sa, 2:30-8:30pm; Su, Closed. ADA Accessible Equipment Sign up for a membership
Football / Soccer - Grass 2411 W. 55th St. 3
Gymnasiums 2411 W. 55th St. 2
Handball Courts 2411 W. 55th St. 1
Meeting/Event Space 2411 W. 55th St. 9
Playgrounds 2411 W. 55th St. Rubberized Surface 1
Racquetball Courts 2411 W. 55th St. 2
Running Tracks 2411 W. 55th St. 1
Swimming Pools - Outdoor 2411 W. 55th St. 0 Pool Closed for the Season. Accessibility feature: Lift
Tennis Courts 2411 W. 55th St. 6
Water Spray Features 2411 W. 55th St. 1
When prominent businessman, attorney, and South Park Commissioner George W. Gage (--1875) died in office in 1875, his fellow board members decided to name a newly-developing park in his honor. In 1873, the commission had begun acquiring land for an elegant green square at the intersection of Western Avenue and what is now known as Garfield Boulevard. This property occupied a prominent location at the turning-point of the South Park Commission's boulevard system. Despite this, little had been done to complete Gage Park by the late 1890s. Frustrated by the park's unfinished condition, surrounding residents repeatedly asked for improvements. Finally, in 1903, the commission added ball fields, tennis courts, a wading pool, and a beautiful sunken garden with a formal reflecting pool and colonnade. In 1918, several small land purchases were made to extend the park's southern boundary. The following year, the commission constructed a swimming pool, separate men's and women's outdoor gymnasiums, and a children's playground in this area. Although in 1905 the South Park Commission had pioneered the development of the nation's earliest fieldhouses, by the 1920s, Gage Park still did not have one. After receiving petitions from residents, the commissioners finally agreed to build a fieldhouse in Gage Park in 1926. The classical structure, designed by in-house architects, was constructed two years later, and jointly dedicated by the South Park Commissioners and the Gage Park Citizens Improvement Club. Within a few years, two murals adorned the building's interior. One of them, located in an office, portrays folkway traditions of local immigrants. The auditorium mural, painted by acclaimed artist Tom Lea in 1931, depicts explorers and pioneers looking westward as a heavenly figure in the clouds points the way.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

 

 

Accessibility Information

Summer Day Camps

Share your ideas!