This small playground is located in the Kenwood Community. The park features a playground and basketball courts , It is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Kenwood Park for recreation.
The Kenwood neighborhood, once known as the prestigious "Lake Forest" of Chicago's south side, experienced major changes between 1940 and 1960. African-Americans began moving in during World War II and the area's population had grown significantly by 1960. As the more affluent residents moved out, large mansions and elegant apartment houses were divided into many smaller units and the neighborhood began to decline. To reverse this trend, the Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference formed in 1949. In the early 1960s, urban renewal efforts began when a Hyde Park-Kenwood Conservation Area was established. Among the revitalization initiatives within the conservation area was the creation of a 4-acre park. The Chicago Housing Authority conveyed property to the Chicago Park District in 1965. The park district installed volley ball and basketball courts, a playground, lawn, and plantings. The park received a new soft surface playground in 1990. In 1991, the park district officially named the site in tribute to Rev. Jessie "Ma" Houston (1899-1980). After overcoming a case of childhood paralysis, Ma Houston settled in Chicago in her 20s, and began helping other disabled people. In addition to actively participating in the civil rights movement, Ma Houston was instrumental in prison reform. She was the first woman allowed to serve as a minister to prisoners on Death Row in Illinois. Under three administrations, she served on the governor's correction advisory panel. In addition, she provided support to families of incarcerated people. The Ma Houston Prison Outpost and the Washington Park Advisory Council suggested the park name.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.