Located in the Pullman neighborhood, Langley Park is a recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families. This park contains a playground, basketball court and walking path. At Langley Park, park patrons enjoy playing basketball and using the walking track.
In 1947, the City of Chicago purchased property along South Langley Avenue, using Playground Bond funds. Three years later, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation transformed the site into a playlot. The city transferred the playlot to the Chicago Park District in 1959. The park takes its name from the adjacent street. Langley Avenue was named for Ester Gunderson Langley, a relative of members of S.T. Gunderson & Sons, a 19th-century Chicago real estate development firm. The family patriarch, Sivert Tobias Gunderson (1839--), had come to Chicago from Norway in 1848 and made his money trading grain and lumber. He eventually bought a commercial lake vessel, a sawmill, and significant amounts of real estate. The Gundersons also named two other Chicago streets, Gladys and Haskins, for S.T.'s granddaughter Gladys Haskins. Gladys' name also graces a west side park.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.