Located in the Auburn Gresham community, Leland Giants Park is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This park contains a playground with swings, slides, climbing equipment, basketball court, and a baseball/softball field.Along with other sports, patrons that visit this location participate in basketball, baseball and softball.
The Material Service Corporation donated the land for this park to the Chicago Park District in 1972. The park district officially named the site Leland Giants Park in 1998. The Leland Giants were an African-American baseball team that played at the intersection of 79th Street and Wentworth Avenue, only a half-mile from this park site, during the early 20th century. Black professional baseball had a significant history in Chicago, even before the founding of the Negro National League in 1920. Although local newspapers often referred to the baseball played by black teams as semi-professional, players did earn livings through baseball. In the first decades of the 20th century, the Chicago Baseball League fielded both white and black teams. The Leland Giants, organized by Frank Leland in 1905, dominated that league.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.