Lunt Playlot Park

  • 2239 W. Lunt Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60645 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Phil Martini (Indian Boundary Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 764-0338

This small park is located in the West Ridge community (three blocks south of Touhy Avenue, two blocks east of Western Avenue). Children and families enjoy the playground area for a day of fun. Community residents maintain a beautiful community garden at the play lot creating an urban oasis.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Indian Boundary Cultural Center and Chippewa Park.

History

Although the City of Chicago acquired a small parcel of land along Lunt Avenue in West Ridge during the 1890s, the property was not developed as parkland until decades later. By 1945, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation was operating the site as a playlot with a wading pool, a sand box, and play equipment. The city transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. The park district rehabilitated Lunt Park in the early 1990s, removing the original equipment and installing a brand new playground. The park takes its name from adjacent Lunt Avenue, in turn named for brothers Orrington and Stephen P. Lunt, early land owners and subdividers in Evanston and Rogers Park. Orrington, the more well-known of the Lunts, was among the founders of the Chicago Board of Trade (1848) and Northwestern University (1851). The university's first library bore Lunt's name, as does Evanston's Orrington Avenue and Orrington Hotel.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Lunt Park Gardens

Lunt Park Gardens

Location Notes: 2239 W. Lunt Ave.

Notes: Community Garden

Lunt Park Playground

Lunt Park PlaygroundAccessible

Notes: Renovated Fall 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small park is located in the West Ridge community (three blocks south of Touhy Avenue, two blocks east of Western Avenue). Children and families enjoy the playground area for a day of fun. Community residents maintain a beautiful community garden at the play lot creating an urban oasis.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Indian Boundary Cultural Center and Chippewa Park.

Although the City of Chicago acquired a small parcel of land along Lunt Avenue in West Ridge during the 1890s, the property was not developed as parkland until decades later. By 1945, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation was operating the site as a playlot with a wading pool, a sand box, and play equipment. The city transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. The park district rehabilitated Lunt Park in the early 1990s, removing the original equipment and installing a brand new playground. The park takes its name from adjacent Lunt Avenue, in turn named for brothers Orrington and Stephen P. Lunt, early land owners and subdividers in Evanston and Rogers Park. Orrington, the more well-known of the Lunts, was among the founders of the Chicago Board of Trade (1848) and Northwestern University (1851). The university's first library bore Lunt's name, as does Evanston's Orrington Avenue and Orrington Hotel.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.