Rogers Park

  • 7345 N. Washtenaw Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60645 [View Map]
  • Fieldhouse Hours: , ,
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Michael McNichols
  • Park Phone: (773) 381-6274

Rogers Park was one of many parks created through a ten-year program providing additional recreational space for post-World War II Chicago. In 1947, the park district acquired a 13-acre property on North Washtenaw Avenue in the West Ridge community. By 1950, the site had four temporary softball diamonds, but no further improvements were made until the mid-1950s. 

Rogers Park and the adjacent school honor Phillip Rogers (1812-1856), an Irishman who arrived from New York in 1836. Rogers cleared land north of Chicago and built a cabin atop the natural ridge that gives West Ridge its name. A successful farmer, Rogers eventually purchased over 1,600 acres of property. After his death in 1856, Rogers' land passed into the hands of his son-in-law, Patrick L. Touhy (1839-1911), who joined with others to develop the Rogers Park community in the 1870s.

History

Rogers Park was one of many parks created through a ten-year program providing additional recreational space for post-World War II Chicago. In 1947, the park district acquired a 13-acre property on North Washtenaw Avenue in the West Ridge community. By 1950, the site had four temporary softball diamonds, but no further improvements were made until the mid-1950s. At that time, the Board of Education built the nearby Phillip Rogers Elementary School, and sold adjacent land to the park district. Improvement of the expanded park soon followed. Rogers Park is among a number of parks jointly operated by the park district and the Board of Education. Rogers Park and the adjacent school honor Phillip Rogers (1812-1856), an Irishman who arrived from New York in 1836. Rogers cleared land north of Chicago and built a cabin atop the natural ridge that gives West Ridge its name. A successful farmer, Rogers eventually purchased over 1,600 acres of property. After his death in 1856, Rogers' land passed into the hands of his son-in-law, Patrick L. Touhy (1839-1911), who joined with others to develop the Rogers Park community in the 1870s.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Rogers Baseball

Rogers Baseball

Location Notes: 7345 N Washtenaw Ave

Rogers Park Basketball

Rogers Park Basketball

Location Notes: 7345 N Washtenaw Ave

Descriptors: Full

Rogers Fieldhouse

Rogers Fieldhouse

Location Notes: 7345 N Washtenaw Ave

Hours: , ,

Roger Football / Soccer

Roger Football / Soccer

Location Notes: 7345 N Washtenaw Ave

Rogers Tennis Court

Rogers Tennis Court

Location Notes: 7345 N Washtenaw Ave

Descriptors: Full

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Rogers Park was one of many parks created through a ten-year program providing additional recreational space for post-World War II Chicago. In 1947, the park district acquired a 13-acre property on North Washtenaw Avenue in the West Ridge community. By 1950, the site had four temporary softball diamonds, but no further improvements were made until the mid-1950s. 

Rogers Park and the adjacent school honor Phillip Rogers (1812-1856), an Irishman who arrived from New York in 1836. Rogers cleared land north of Chicago and built a cabin atop the natural ridge that gives West Ridge its name. A successful farmer, Rogers eventually purchased over 1,600 acres of property. After his death in 1856, Rogers' land passed into the hands of his son-in-law, Patrick L. Touhy (1839-1911), who joined with others to develop the Rogers Park community in the 1870s.

Rogers Park was one of many parks created through a ten-year program providing additional recreational space for post-World War II Chicago. In 1947, the park district acquired a 13-acre property on North Washtenaw Avenue in the West Ridge community. By 1950, the site had four temporary softball diamonds, but no further improvements were made until the mid-1950s. At that time, the Board of Education built the nearby Phillip Rogers Elementary School, and sold adjacent land to the park district. Improvement of the expanded park soon followed. Rogers Park is among a number of parks jointly operated by the park district and the Board of Education. Rogers Park and the adjacent school honor Phillip Rogers (1812-1856), an Irishman who arrived from New York in 1836. Rogers cleared land north of Chicago and built a cabin atop the natural ridge that gives West Ridge its name. A successful farmer, Rogers eventually purchased over 1,600 acres of property. After his death in 1856, Rogers' land passed into the hands of his son-in-law, Patrick L. Touhy (1839-1911), who joined with others to develop the Rogers Park community in the 1870s.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.