Located in the Beverly neighborhood, this .5-acre site was acquired by the Chicago Park District in 2009. The vacant lot was the result of a terrible fire in which firefighters Patrick King and Anthony Lockhart tragically lost their lives in the line of duty in 1998. Park improvements designed by Daniel Weinbach & Partners Landscape Architects includes installing utilities, walkways, trees and lawn, fencing, and a central plaza with bricks that have been laid out in the shape of a Chicago Fire Department Shield. There are seat walls inscribed with the words “community,” “duty,” “courage,” “pride,” “family,” and “sacrifice.” Two pergolas have also been erected in the locations where the firefighters died.
The new park serves as a memorial to the two heroic firefighters who lost their lives battling a fire at the Beverly Tire Store on February 11, 1998 on this site. Patrick J. King (1957 – 1998) was the product of a firefighting family— both his father and a brother had also served as members of the Chicago Fire Department. King began his career as a paramedic and was a twenty-two year veteran of the department. Anthony Lockhart (1957 – 1998) was born and raised in Chicago. He graduated from Dunbar High School, where he was the captain of the wrestling team, and attended the University of Illinois and went on to work for the US Postal Service for fourteen years. In 1989, he realized a lifelong dream of becoming a firefighter.
In 1999, Mayor Richard M. Daley dedicated a plaque honoring Patrick J. King and Anthony Lockhart at the site of what is now the park. The plaque has been incorporated into the park’s design and is located at the central plaza. This green space provides a respite in the Beverly neighborhood as well as a fitting memorial to two Chicago heroes.