Ravenswood Manor Playlot Park

  • 4626 N. Manor Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60625 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Thomas McManamon (Horner Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 478-3499

Located in the middle of the Ravenswood Manor community, the park is the crown jewel of the neighborhood! Over the years, the park has become the place for families and neighbors to gather.

Whether enjoying a summer concert in the park or just hanging out with the kids in the playground, the community embraces its gem of a park.

History

In 1913, New York real estate speculator William Harmon began developing the lovely Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens neighborhoods. Residents soon voted to form their own park district, electing Mrs. Helen Meder the first president of its board. Although these were comfortable, middle-class neighborhoods, the Ravenswood Manor Gardens Park District had limited resources because its tax-base included only a 1/4-mile area. As a result, it created very small parks which emphasized landscape improvements, rather than recreational facilities. In 1915, the district acquired land for Ravenswood Manor Park, which was named for the surrounding community. The triangular site, originally bisected by Eastwood Avenue, soon included trees, shrubs, benches, a trellis-like pergola, and a small stucco office building. The park district held its meetings in the building, and made it available for many other community purposes. Among the groups who met there was the Ravenswood Manor Gardens Community Club, which apparently encouraged attendance by passing out cigars at meetings. Boys' and girls' clubs, Red Cross volunteer groups, and other civic organizations also used the building. In 1934, Ravenswood Manor Park became part of the newly-formed Chicago Park District. Using federal relief funds, the park district rehabilitated the park's landscape, planting hundreds of shrubs and an impressive perennial garden. The park office building was razed in 1956. Fifteen years later, playground equipment was installed in the park. In 1990, the city closed the bisecting stretch of Eastwood Avenue and the park district sodded-over the street. Since that time, Ravenswood Manor Park has received numerous improvements including a major replanting, a soft surface playground, and a new pergola.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Ravenswood Manor Playgrounds

Ravenswood Manor Playgrounds

Location Notes: 4604 N. Manor Ave.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the middle of the Ravenswood Manor community, the park is the crown jewel of the neighborhood! Over the years, the park has become the place for families and neighbors to gather.

Whether enjoying a summer concert in the park or just hanging out with the kids in the playground, the community embraces its gem of a park.

In 1913, New York real estate speculator William Harmon began developing the lovely Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens neighborhoods. Residents soon voted to form their own park district, electing Mrs. Helen Meder the first president of its board. Although these were comfortable, middle-class neighborhoods, the Ravenswood Manor Gardens Park District had limited resources because its tax-base included only a 1/4-mile area. As a result, it created very small parks which emphasized landscape improvements, rather than recreational facilities. In 1915, the district acquired land for Ravenswood Manor Park, which was named for the surrounding community. The triangular site, originally bisected by Eastwood Avenue, soon included trees, shrubs, benches, a trellis-like pergola, and a small stucco office building. The park district held its meetings in the building, and made it available for many other community purposes. Among the groups who met there was the Ravenswood Manor Gardens Community Club, which apparently encouraged attendance by passing out cigars at meetings. Boys' and girls' clubs, Red Cross volunteer groups, and other civic organizations also used the building. In 1934, Ravenswood Manor Park became part of the newly-formed Chicago Park District. Using federal relief funds, the park district rehabilitated the park's landscape, planting hundreds of shrubs and an impressive perennial garden. The park office building was razed in 1956. Fifteen years later, playground equipment was installed in the park. In 1990, the city closed the bisecting stretch of Eastwood Avenue and the park district sodded-over the street. Since that time, Ravenswood Manor Park has received numerous improvements including a major replanting, a soft surface playground, and a new pergola.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.