Tucked away in the Gladstone community (between Milwaukee Avenue & Northwest Highway and between Central & Austin Avenues) Gladstone Park covers a little more than one acre of land.The park offers a small fieldhouse, a t-ball field and junior soccer field, a new ADA accessible soft-surface playground and spray pool, as well as a small outdoor basketball court.
Gladstone Park is bursting with programs for children! The park offers pre-school, playschool activities, tumbling, mom’s pop’s & tot’s (which involves parent participation), arts & crafts, ballet classes, and seasonal sport activities.
Gladstone Park is one of six neighborhood parks created by the Jefferson Park District. Established in 1920, the Jefferson Park District was one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. In 1923, the Gladstone Park Community Club approached the Jefferson Park District about locating a park in the former Gladstone Park subdivision, named for British Prime Minister William Gladstone (1809-1898). The park district took action the following year, purchasing parkland and naming it after the community group. In 1930, the landscaped park gained a small fieldhouse designed by Clarence Hatzfeld, architect of many Chicago park buildings, including the nearby Jefferson Park fieldhouse.